Sunday 19 February 2012

Tea and biscuits: a belated Valentine's Day


Tonight I had the most fabulously chilled out tea party with some lady friends of mine. In an effort to reaffirm and deepen our friendship (oh bless) and just to spend time with each other we have been holding little tea drinking sessions! It’s actually adorable. We sit around and discuss our lives, drinking scrumptious teas in lovely teacups that are freshly brewed from ornate teapots. Tonight was extra special because as we were sitting around our circle of tea, with a backdrop of thunder and heavy rain pouring down, we suddenly had a blackout. After a little shock and a lot of me holding onto Michelle, whilst I was jumping up and down with excitement (I’m still young, what of it), we found some tall and small, and tea light candles and decorated the room with light.


             It really was just a fabulous chance to catch up with some friends and check in on each other. Having just had Valentine’s Day, I have been thinking a lot of about love and friendship and all matters of the heart. Whilst I disagree with the consumerist driven, greed and jealous centric praxis of the holiday, having recently had a small revelation in my life, I am trying to change the way I view and act toward love. Whilst Valentine’s Day and the people celebrating it, get so caught up with expressing romantic love, this often precludes the other forms that love takes on! Whilst it is easy to get bitter if your single, and upset and lonely, we need to not forget that we are always surrounded by love, day in and day out. We need to remember that we need to love ourselves first and foremost, but we also need to utilise and rely on the strength of love found in our friendships. These relationships are of uttermost importance, because when things go sour with your romantic love, these people are the crutch upon which you rest.

One of my friends has just recently gotten out of a long-term relationship and has been struggling with this idea of love. There have been moments in her break up that she has asserted that she needs to find a man to validate herself and justify herself, her independence and beauty. I find it upsetting that my dear friend, my beautiful, confident, intelligent friend feels that in order to be a better person, a more whole version of herself, she needs to be in a relationship. Whilst having time to talk to her about all of this (and she was at my little tea party) I think she is coming to realise that the most important relationship anyone can have is the one you have with yourself. Even more so when you have just broken up with someone you dearly loved. I explained to her that love can’t just be switched off and on and that in order to properly heal from the trauma that, let’s face it 99.99% of people go through when the get out of a relationship regardless of how it ends, she needs to reassert herself and her independence and self worth not through another person.

Whilst I have faith that my friend will realise her importance and I think that she understands that she needs some time to be single, it reminded me of something really insightful a guy friend of mine said recently. On the topic of Valentine’s Day and relationships, he noted that society doesn’t really teach us (or really allow for us) to be single. I think this is something really important to realise, and this realisation is quite saddening. When did it become that we were to be defined by our romantic relationship status? When did it become ok to conflate your identity and self worth with a social status of being in a relationship? I was out shopping today (not the fun type but the boring, let’s buy some groceries type) and this woman walked past me talking very loudly on the phone. I couldn’t help but overhear (that’s a nice way of me saying that she was practically having the conversation with me, standing next to me, screaming) but she was obviously talking to a friend. She said, “I’m so glad you finally can be happy, all you really needed was to find someone and it’s about time you had a boyfriend”. This woman was only young, but I found the conversation so hollowing. She equated her friends worth and her happiness with whether or not she had a man. When did that become ok?
           
Society doesn’t teach us to be single. Now you could make some argument about the evolutionary need to be in a relationship of sorts so that we can procreate and continue living, but honestly, in this day and age, fuck off. We need to start working at loving ourselves more. Being confident and happy and secure in who we are and what we do, loving ourselves as individuals and for being individual enough to assert our self worth independent of another. And we need to start loving our friends more and taking out that time in the day to check in and check on these types of relationships. We need to realise that partners come and go, but it’s the friendships that were there before, that are usually the ones that help you out when its over. Stop taking our friendship love for granted and starting living life with more self-love. Wow this might have just gotten a little preachy, but honestly, if you can’t love yourself, how can you expect anyone else to love you?





                              Because loving my friends is about going geo-caching with there fine asses.


                            







No comments:

Post a Comment